Special Education Teacher
The Children's Institute | See all 2 jobs from The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh
The Special Education Teacher is responsible for identifying the strengths
and needs of the individual students within the classrooms setting. They are responsible for
writing and implementing all pertinent special education paperwork including, but not limited to
the Re-Evaluation Report, IEP, and Progress Monitoring Data. The teacher is responsible for
creating a classroom environment that provides learning experiences that foster students’ achieving
to their highest level of self-sufficiency. The teacher must work with a team of individuals as the
classroom lead to maintain appropriate educational programming for all students.
• Follow The Institute and The Day School rules and regulations as outlined in the Children’s Institute Employee Handbook and Getting Things Done in The Day School.
• Identifies students’ needs, based on assessment and prior reports and determines appropriate goals and educational activities based on these needs.
• Demonstrates competence in individualizing strategies and interventions when working with students.
• Appropriately uses available curricula resources at the Children’s Institute.
• Demonstrates appropriate and professional skills and judgment when assisting students.
• Demonstrates appropriate behavior management skills.
• Develops specific and appropriate classroom management plans.
• Demonstrates competency in planning and implementing small and large group instruction.
• Performs feeding, lifting, positioning and toileting for students as needed.
• Maintains a regular schedule of communication with families regarding classroom activities and student performance.
• Identifies his/her needs in regard to managing classroom personnel and physical environment and seeks help as needed.
• Attends professional development activities as directed by TDS Administration.
• Completes all student and organizational documentation accurately and within specified time frames.
• Demonstrates competence in technology use appropriate for position.
EDUCATION: A Bachelor's degree in Special Education from an approved college or university is required. Master's degree in Special Education is preferred.
CERTIFICATION: Current certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in Special Education (or appropriate subject area) is required. Current and valid certification in CPR and First Aid is required (will provide training).
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: At least one year of successful experience in a Special
Education setting is required. Two or more years experience
in a Special Education setting is preferred.
PHYSICAL: The ability to lift, position, and feed students with disabilities, assist them physically in transferring to and from wheelchairs to other equipment, and lifting on to and off of school transportation vehicles. The physical ability and willingness to assist students’ with behavioral needs and behavioral crises. Willingness and ability to assist students with feeding and toileting needs. Must be able to perform as noted on attached Physical Demands Sheet.
Special Education Teacher
Are you looking to make a difference in the world of Special Education? Innovative teachers sought for Unique learning environment in which you can be fulfilled. Tasks may include: Lesson planning, fun activities, progress monitoring, classroom and behavior management, etc.
Looking for someone:
• willing to learn
• willing to think outside the box
• make an impact
We’re proud to offer generous benefits to our team members. Regular full-time team members are eligible for the following benefits:
• Medical, Dental, Vision & Life insurance
• Paid Time Off & Holidays
• 403b Plan-Retirement
• Short and Long Term Disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Wellness program
• Student Loan Refinancing Program
• Employee Recognition Events
• Tuition reimbursement
• Career development